Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Much better



It seems to be leaving. The cold
that is trying to get all of us to
feel lousy! I am ok. Emma is almost
and now Brad, the second son, is
taking vit. c, green tea, etc....


Very good work of my students
recently . Wish I could post two
very good descriptive paragraphs
of my Seniors. One used a theme
of a Fall leaf that withers for Miss
Anne de Bourgh and the other
said at the end of Elizabeth's visit
to Netherfield when Jane is sick,
that envy wrapped itself around
Miss Bingley's heart. One of those
girls is doing a major thesis paper
on Austen. The other remarked the
same as I had in this reading.
This time the reading
went deeper! The second to the last
chapter is still my favorite. Such good
lines of Austen's:

Elizabeth's spirits soon rising to
playfulness again, she wanted Mr. Darcy
to account for his having ever
fallen in love with her. "How could you begin?"
said she. "I can comprehend your going
on charmingly, when you had once made
a beginning; but what could set you off
in the first place?"

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot,
or the look, or the words, which laid
the foundation. It is too long ago.
I was in the middle before I knew
that I had begun."

"My beauty you had early withstood, and as for
my manners ~
my behaviour to you was at least always
bordering on the uncivil,
and I never spoke to you without rather
wishing to give you pain
than not. Now be sincere; did you admire
me for my impertinence?"

"For the liveliness of your mind, I did."


and


The joy which Miss Darcy expressed on receiving
similar information, was as sincere as her brother'
in sending it. Four sides of paper were insufficient
to contain all her delight, and all her earnest desire
of being loved by her sister
.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What fun reading you've been doing, and I really loved what your students wrote. How creative and imaginative! You are a true teacher to bring that out in them.

The apple-picking painting is wonderful. Kristin just left to meet a group of young moms for apple-picking. It's a beautiful, warm afternoon - perfect for being outside!

podso said...

"I was in the middle before I knew
that I had begun." Has always been a favorite line of mine. I must read it all again. I wish I was a student in your class!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, Jane Austin...Cottage with hot tea reading, I'd say..