Friday, September 12, 2008

The Bright Day is done....


I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato
Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
and Annie Barrows. ( aunt and niece)
I smiled when it ended because the
way it got to the end was delightful.
Don't let the title puzzle you. You find
out shortly into the story of letters
why it has that name. It is based
on the German occupation WWII.
Here's a snippet:


"I don't know much about children
as I would like to. I am godmother to
a wonderful 3 year old boy named
Dominic , the son of my friend Sophie.
They live in Scotland, near Oban, and
I don't get to see him often. I am always
astonished , when I do , at his increasing
personhood -- no sooner had I gotten
used to carrying about a warm lump of
baby than he stopped being one and
started scurrying around on his own. I
missed six months , and lo and behold,
he learned to talk! Now he talks to him-
self , which I find terribly endearing
since I do, too." ( Juliet)

AND a letter from Eben Ramsey to Juliet:

"It was called 'Selections from Shakespeare.'
Later, I came to see that Mr. Dickens and Mr.
Wordsworth were thinking of men like me
when they wrote their words. But most of
all, I believe William Shakespeare was. Mind
you, I cannot always make sense of what he
says, but it will come.

It seems to me the less he said , the more
beauty he made. Do you know what
sentence of his I admire the most? It is
'The bright day is done, and we are for
the dark.'

I wish I'd known those words on the day
I watched those German troops land,
plane-load after plane-load of them--
and come off ships down in the harbor!
All I could think of was 'damn them,
damn them,' over and over. If I could have
thought the words 'the bright days is done
and we are for the dark,' I'd have been
consoled somehow and ready to go out
and contend with circumstance--instead
of my heart sinking to my shoes.

They came here Sunday, 30th June, 1940,
after bombing us for two days...."

AND THIS:

RSS

0619632ws.jpg

Guernsey looks to join the movie set

HOLLYWOOD could come to Guernsey now the film

rights of a best-selling book about the island have been sold.

No comments: