Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Brussel Sprouts Stalk




















I had gotten a stalk of brussel sprouts at
Trader Joe's and had it on the counter yesterday
as my high school tutorial took a midterm.
"WHAT IS THAT?!!"
I wasn't in the kitchen when
that was asked by all.
"OH...I didn't know it grew
like that."
That was me in the store in November.

Quite a conversation piece if you need one for
the holidays! Then I found out who likes them,
what they taste like and how to cook them.

Here is a friend's recipe I am making tonight for
the choir dinner:

2 tbsp of olive oil
6 ounces pancetta or bacon 1/4 inch diced. I used bacon
1 1/2 lbs brussel sprouts trimmed and cut in half
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup golden raisins
1 3/4 cup chicken stock ( I used water and added base or boullion)

Heat the olive oil in a large (12 inch) saute' pan and add the bacon. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is golden brown and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pancetta to a plate lined with a paper towel. Add the Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper to the fat in the pan and saute' over med. heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the raisins and chicken stock. Lower the heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. If the skillet becomes too dry, add a little chicken stock or water. Return the bacon to the pan, heat through, season to taste, and serve.

2 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Mmmmm....those are very fresh and what a delicious recipe you've shared with us. I love them cut in half and steamed then tossed with a little butter and lemon pepper but your recipe I'm sure is even better!

L.L. Barkat said...

Recently I ate a brussel sprout raw. It was mildly sweet... so different from the overcooked version I've always had in various places. I loved it!