Thursday, October 4, 2007

She finished



Emma finished The Two Towers this afternoon!
She's watching the movie and I love her : " It's so different than the book!"
The trees are moving and alive! Shades of the new heavens and new earth!
That's my favorite scene in that book!


'One felt as if there was an enormous well behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; but their surface was sparkling with the present: like sun shimmering on the outer leaves of a vast tree, or the ripples of a very deep lake.'"
Pippin describing Fangorn's eyes, The Two Towers (1954), Treebeard

The cover of the 1st edition of The Two Towers.
Enlarge
The cover of the 1st edition of The Two Towers.

1 comment:

walking said...

I didn't know you had a blog, Bonnie! I'll have to stop by and visit more often!!

One of my greatest joys was to share Tolkien with my children. I'll never forget when we were reading the chapter in which Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli meet up with the mysterious white wizard in the forest. David kept alternating between "It's Gandalf! No, it can't be! It's Saruman! No, wait a minute!" And then the exciting scene in the third book in which Dernhelm's identity is revealed, the surprised look on his face was thrilling.

I never knew how much fun the poetry in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings was until I read it aloud to my children. As a teen, I used to skip over that stuff because it did not seem essential to the plot. But, we laughed at the poem about what Bilbo Baggins hates and the one that bears a striking resemblance to Humpty Dumpty ("The Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon")! My favorite is "All That is Gold Does Not Glitter."

David and I are reading Beowulf and the Norse myths covered in The Age of Fable now, and we have so much fun looking for references that suggest Tolkien and Lewis