Saturday, October 4, 2008

Home



I started HOME by Marilynne
Robinson a few days ago , along
with The Antiquary by Sir Walter
Scott that I will teach in a few weeks.
Home today with new screen and glass
doors being put up by my husband
and neighbor. So nice to have a good
neighbor! Good friends too. Emma
adores their 18 year old and they
are like sisters. Leann adores her too:
her "little sister!"


Welcoming Autumn every morning!


Nature XXVII, Autumn

by Emily Dickinson

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed 'Home' when I read it a few months ago. Will be interested in your feeling about it.

Thought she put together the prettiest sentences.

walking said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but I know your going to love this! I went to a mega used book sale yesterday and bought fifteen old classics for $13, including two by Elizabeth Goudge: Pilgrim's Inn and Gentian Hill!!!! I saw Green Dolphin Street, but I already have that! :-)

Bonnie said...

Tammy ~~ I do love that!
What a great deal on all of those books.

Melissa ~~ I haven't finished Gilead
but will HOME first. I'm not sure what I think yet. She goes a long ways around at times, filling in history of the family and characters.
Some good sentences, yes!

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Emily Dickinson (and other poets) beautifully set to music:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4977266

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUx8hVdDaPg