Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Another Shepherd



Ernest Shepherd's daughter was also an
illustrator: Mary Shephard illustrated
Mary Poppins. Born on Christmas Day
in 1909, she died in 2000.

P.L. Travers ( Pamela) wanted Ernest to
do the illustrations, but he was too busy.
She saw a Christmas card on the mantle
of a friend that was "a happy imperfection
and a sense of wonder." It was by Mary
Shepherd who was 23 and out of Art School.
Mary used a wooden peg Dutch doll she had in
her attic for her model for Mary Poppins.
The film version beared true to the illustrations
in the costumes of Julie Andrews. Shepherd
received a payment from the film co.


From the New York Times:
A family memorial service was held at the
Hampstead Parish Church on Sept. 14, where
Miss Shepard worshiped daily as long as she was able.

Drawn From Memory is Ernest
Shepherd's autobiography of his
childhood. I have it from the library
right now in a pile!! I'm reading
about Samuel Johnson ~~ he wrote
a dictionary!




Mary PoppinsMary Poppins Comes BackMary Poppins Opens the DoorMary Poppins in the ParkMary Poppins From A to ZMary Poppins in the KitchenMary Poppins in Cherry Tree LaneMary Poppins and the House Next Door cover the first four Mary Poppins books


Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins)
by P L Travers
Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins) Cover

2 comments:

Amber Benton said...

You know, maybe it's just me, but I didn't like Mary Poppins! I like the movie, I bought the books a couple of years ago (the first two) and read them. This year when I had to clear out some books for shelf space they didn't make it... I wonder if I'm missing something...

Amber Benton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.