Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Today is Victoria Day!



In Canada, to celebrate the birthday of dear Queen Victoria.




and her dear Prince Albert!

Her diary on her wedding day:




The transcript

Queen Victoria writes about her wedding day in her journal. 
February 10, 1840 
Slept well & breakfasted at ½p. 9, before which Mama came, bringing me a nosegay of 
orange flowers, & good Lehzen gave me a dear little ring. Wrote my Journal & saw Lord
Melbourne. Had my hair dressed & the wreath of orange flowers put on my head. My wreath 
& veil were worn, according to the rough sketch. Saw my precious Albert alone, for the last 
time as my Bridegroom, & he fetched in Uncle & Ernest for a moment. At ½p. 12 I set off, 
dearest Albert having gone before, & Mama & the Duchess of Sutherland went with me in the 
carriage. I wore a white satin dress, with a deep flounce of Honiton lace, an imitation of an 
old design. My jewels were my Turkish diamond necklace & earrings & dear Albert’s 
beautiful sapphire brooch. I never saw such crowds as there were in the Park, & they cheered
most enthusiastically..............





Queen Victoria in her wedding dress by Winterhalter, 1842

The wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert

Queen Victoria's wedding dress, now sans skirt lace

A middle aged Victoria and Albert recreate their wedding day



3 comments:

podso said...

Surprised Keller's book is in the library! Fun post here about Victoria ... love that lace overlay to her wedding dress. What a lady she was!

melissa said...

Isn't Queen Victoria's handwriting beautiful. So special to see her journal...you find the most amazing treasures. :)

Kay G. said...

Did you see the movie, "The Young Victoria"? Oh, they took a few liberties with the true story (that's Hollywood) but it was so well done!
I loved that they had Princess Beatrix (one of Queen Victoria's descendants!) as a lady-in-waiting!
By the way, I love Queen Victoria.
We need someone around these days, with a stern moral outlook.