Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Year with G. K. Chesterton





I have loved all of this author's books on Chesterton so picking another one to review is 
a  pleasure especially if you are a Chesterton fan. Each day has a quote or short passage
 from Chesterton's works plus what GKC was doing on that day.  You will chuckle at 
GKC's  wit and think upon his wisdom and marvel at his intellect and hunger for more 
wonder.  He makes you think about something you never wondered about before.
Here is an example:

"While in London during World War I, a woman asked him why he was "not out at the Front," with "the Front" referring to the battle lines of their fellow countrymen. Chesterton promptly replied, "If you go round to the side, you will see that I am."

Chesterton is the master of paradox. He commands language to say succinctly deep 
truth and fierce beauty. I recommend this book to all who love the power of words 
and love this  English journalist, poet, essayist, and novelist. I really like the way "ON THIS DAY" of GKC's  life had tidbits you wouldn't normally see on a timeline.  Highly recommend.


** Thomas Nelson Book Sneeze Review


1 comment:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Thanks for the recommend. I have seen him quoted everywhere but really know next to nothing about the man. I shall put this on my list.