Monday, July 19, 2010

Book Review: Isaac Newton

BOOK SNEEZE: THOMAS NELSON PUBLISHERS

I wish I had read some biographies like
this one when I was in high school. Mitch
Stokes started Isaac's life with a story about
a fight when he was 12 or 13. Here is the
first sentence:
" Isaac Newton could still feel the dull
ache in his stomach where Arthur Storer had
kicked him on the way to school that morning."

I found myself being drawn into the daily life
and the magnitude of the man who thought
deeply about God, discovered gravity, and
calculus. I learned that he kept journals on the
attributes of God. Quite a philosopher and
thinker! He became real to me, more than
an equation for gravity. I appreciated the
author's concise writing of the time period
plus the huge ideas Newton was discovering.
Think about this:

" You and the book in front of you share a special
connection --both of you exert a gravitational
force on the other. Not only that, you both exert
a gravitational force on everything else in the
cosmos, and everything else reciprocates. Everything.
Newton's theory of gravity is universal. It is a single
law that governs rocks as well as planets, and it finally
buried the Aristotelian view that there were two realms--
one of the starry heavens and another of the earth.
No longer were two separate theories needed; a
single theory would do. The cosmos was now a universe."

I will look for more biographies in this series:
Christian Encounters.
I would highly recommend this book in libraries
and in a curriculum.



No comments: