Monday, September 23, 2013

It just was a beautiful Monday



IN looking for a September poem to post, I found this funny Billy Collin's poem
and so even if it is not your birthday today or even this month, he will make 
you chuckle. He did write it last year which makes him 72 this year. So 
that makes Cheerios the same age. Never would have guessed he was THAT old. He is in Russia right now as a sort of Poet Ambassador. If you happen to be in NYC in a month: Billy reads at the 92nd Street Y on October 21. Then he will be in DC and then Atlanta and so on , Prairie Home Companion 
in Minneapolis on Nov. 2... all this from his Facebook page. 


Cheerios

BY BILLY COLLINS
One bright morning in a restaurant in Chicago
as I waited for my eggs and toast,
I opened the Tribune only to discover
that I was the same age as Cheerios.

Indeed, I was a few months older than Cheerios
for today, the newspaper announced,
was the seventieth birthday of Cheerios
whereas mine had occurred earlier in the year.

Already I could hear them whispering
behind my stooped and threadbare back,
Why that dude’s older than Cheerios

the way they used to say

Why that’s as old as the hills,
only the hills are much older than Cheerios
or any American breakfast cereal,
and more noble and enduring are the hills,

I surmised as a bar of sunlight illuminated my orange juice.

2 comments:

podso said...

Cute poem. It puts me right there at that breakfast table.

veryblessed said...

Love this! Lots of bowls of Cheerios around here. :)

~Tessa