Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review






I love books of prayers. This one is  for the morning and evening  through the liturigal calendar. The authors range from all faiths. Old prayers are especially rich and poignant.  Each prayer is shortened to 50 -150 words for a quiet daily rhythm.   It is a nice size even with almost 400 pages. Each season has gorgeous etchings.  Here is for Epiphany by Albrecht Durer: 







 You can take a peek here. David Gushee , the editor, has this prayer for January 16:

Oh God,
I ask today that you
prepare my spirit for this day's temptations,
which may come in forms not easily recognized.
The temptation to pride-- to envy -- to anger;
the temptation to doubt -- to cynicism -- to hopelessness;
the temptation to a faith merely of words not deeds.
May my every free choice today
express my lifetime decision
to submit my will to Yours.
For you are not just "Lord"--
You are my Lord.
I am Yours.
Amen.

Review for Thomas Nelson Publishers: Book Sneeze ( free books for bloggers)


No comments: