Wednesday, January 23, 2013

hearthside



It is quite cold. 
It was a "stay inside day" and by the hearth...........so hearthside.

I finished The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan. 
Reread it for my class. If you haven't read it, do.
Fast paced spy novel and skip the movies!

My only winter vegetable in the garden are a few broccoli.
They are under cover: kitchen towels!

Stay warm. 
Winter is here. 
No snow here. 

just.....

The Cold
by Wendell Berry
How exactly good it is
to know myself
in the solitude of winter,

my body containing its own
warmth, divided from all
by the cold; and to go

separate and sure
among the trees cleanly
divided, thinking of you

perfect too in your solitude,
your life withdrawn into
your own keeping

--to be clear, poised
in perfect self-suspension
toward you, as though frozen.

And having known fully the
goodness of that, it will be
good also to melt.








No comments: