Monday, November 28, 2011

Books for this Advent



Advent arrived right as Thanksgiving Dinner ushered family back to their place in the world.
Place meaning apartment or college dorm room in our case with our sons.

Second son is planning his wedding for early March. That seemed to be here so quickly
from his engagement last Christmas. NOW to look on my shelf to start a Christmas
Devotion and Christmas Stories. Postings soon.

Any suggestions?

Dorcas gathered her old brown cloak firmly about her, as though the balmy southwest wind were a savage northeaster, and peered out from the recesses of her brown beaver bonnet like an owl from the shelter of a hollow tree. Nevertheless there was the hint of a smile upon her usually grim mouth. For though she did not admit it, she was enjoying this expedition in search of the erring Polly. The sharp tang of the seaweed lying in shining coils on the sand below her was delightful. The sparkle of the sea in the sunshine raised her spirits. Turning to look at the little town, she found she had forgotten how pretty it was with its steep cobbled streets climbing the hill, its old red roofs all higgledy-piggledy and the plumes of smoke from the chimneys azure in the clear air. (p. 28)

3 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

You can't go wrong with these two (I am biased of course, towards this author)!

debbie bailey said...

And I was just wondering what to read with a 'Christmasy' theme. I LOVE Elizabeth Goudge, so these two will do very well. Thank you very much.

Lesley Austin said...

Dear Bonnie,
I came here to thank you for your lovely comment for my Tuesday Advent post and arrive here to find Elizabeth Goudge inspiration! How fortunate am I that you posted this? I thought I had read everything by E.G...but these do not look familiar. Tho' they might be in a collection? In any case, I shall go in search of them, after I have done some cleaning and clearing.

So grateful,

Lesley