Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wendell Berry moments


We drove down the windy street
to our street today that use to have
horse farms. Suburbia is spreading
and the cows and horses are gone!
An older man decked in a sunhat ,
waved to us at his mailbox. I told Gordan
he probably would be fun to sit
on the porch with and hear his stories.
A man like Wendell Berry. Gordan knew
what I meant having read Berry's essays.
We talked a bit about what that generation
has in tradition and the stories of change
that man could tell us.

Later I called
Lexington where BBQ is famous to
order for Sunday's After Wedding Gathering.
She said to me:" Hold on Sweetie" as she
got her ordering pad. A sweet southern voice
tells you they have the best BBQ in the world.
Who else would say Sweetie to a complete
stranger! My sister-in-law said to this city
girl : OH you don't have to give them much
time. You know it's in a log cabin sort of
building. We could go up there Sunday and
they would have what we need.


The Country of Marriage

by Wendell Berry

VII.

I give you what is unbounded, passing from dark to dark,
containing darkness: a night of rain, an early morning.
I give you the life I have let live for the love of you:
a clump of orange-blooming weeds beside the road,
the young orchard waiting in the snow, our own life
that we have planted in the ground, as I
have planted mine in you. I give you my love for all
beautiful and honest women that you gather to yourself
again and again, and satisfy--and this poem,
no more mine than any man's who has loved a woman.

Wendell Berry

No comments: